The Greene County Public Library Online Book Club is a group that meets exclusively online. At the beginning of each month, we’ll unveil a new book. Then on Mondays, we’ll publish blog posts with interesting videos, pictures, and questions meant to enhance your reading experience.
Each book that we’ll read also has a movie. So even if you don’t have time to read a book, you can still contribute to our club by discussing the plot and story with others.
To follow along with the Online Book Club, simply check out each month’s book at your local library location or the ebook through our OverDrive Digital Downloads or Hoopla collections. You can read at your own pace, and join the discussion whenever it’s convenient for you.
We hope you’ll read along with us!
Recent Blog Posts
- Into the Wild: Week 3
February 20, 2017
- Into the Wild: Week 2
February 13, 2017
- Into the Wild: Week 1
February 1, 2017
- Wuthering Heights: Week 4
January 30, 2017
By Jon Krakauer
February’s Online Book Club Selection
The dramatic story of Chris McCandless—a young man who embarked on a solo journey into the wilds of Alaska and whose body was discovered four months later—explores the fascinating allure that the wilderness has for the American imagination.
Watch the movie: PBS' Return to the Wild
By David McCullough
March’s Online Book Club Selection
The Wright Brothers is the 2017 Big Read book.
Chronicles the story-behind-the-story about the Wright brothers, sharing insights into the disadvantages that challenged their lives and their mechanical ingenuity.
Watch the movie: American Experience: The Wright Stuff, directed by Nancy Porter
By Andrea Levy
April’s Online Book Club Selection
A novel of the immigrant experience brings together the lives of four very different people—Hortense Joseph, a recent arrival in London from Jamaica; her husband Gilbert, a war veteran who finds himself as a black man in Britain to be a second-class citizen; Queenie, Gilbert’s white landlady; and her husband, Bernard, a fellow veteran of World War II.
Watch the movie: Small Island, directed by John Alexander
By Laura Hillenbrand
May’s Online Book Club Selection
Seabiscuit was one of the most electrifying and popular attractions in sports history and the single biggest newsmaker in the world in 1938, receiving more coverage than FDR, Hitler, or Mussolini. But his success was a surprise to the racing establishment, which had written off the crooked-legged racehorse with the sad tail.
Watch the movie: Seabiscuit: America's Legendary Racehorse, directed by Nick Krantz
- January 2017: Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë
- December 2016: A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
- November 2016: Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes
- October 2016: The Giver, by Lois Lowry
- September 2016: The Butler: A Witness to History, by Wil Haygood
- August 2016: Go Set a Watchman, by Harper Lee
- July 2016: Old Yeller, by Fred Gipson
- June 2016: A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson
- May 2016: Dracula, by Bram Stoker
- April 2016: Orphan Train, by Christina Baker Kline
- March 2016: Sarah’s Key, by Tatiana de Rosnay
- February 2016: Philomena, by Martin Sixsmith
- January 2016: The Tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo
- December 2015: The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, by Arthur Conan Doyle
- November 2015: The Wettest County in the World, by Matt Bondurant
- October 2015: The Silver Linings Playbook, by Matthew Quick
- September 2015: The King’s Speech, by Mark Logue & Peter Conradi