- 1899: The women of the Social Culture Club found the Yellow Springs library in a rented room with 77 books, plus a few magazines and papers.
- 1935: After occupying spaces in various buildings (including the Yellow Springs Hardware building, the Little Art Theatre building, and a house at the corner of Short and Walnut Streets), the library moves to its own location built by the village.
- 1965: Yellow Springs community groups raise funds for a larger building. The new library opens in its current location in 1965, and is formally dedicated in 1966.
- 1992: The sculpture garden outside the library opens, featuring Jon Barlow Hudson's Tree of Knowledge.
- 2017: A historical marker honoring author Virginia Hamilton, who lived most of her life in Yellow Springs, is dedicated outside the library.