The Level Up tutoring program has seen success across all 7 community libraries at GCPL, and we’re so happy to see so many students’ achievements happening at the library! The real work happens with the students and their tutors at each Level Up session, so who are these tutors helping your students?
Meet Cindy Mash! Cindy tutors at the Xenia and Jamestown community libraries and recently retired after teaching history and English for 32 years. She mainly taught grades 7-12 at Greeneview High School in Jamestown.
I had the opportunity to chat with Cindy about Level Up.
What made you want to tutor at GCPL?
I have always enjoyed helping students do their best. Level Up seemed like the perfect opportunity to connect with students and help them improve their study skills and knowledge base.
To you, what makes Level Up tutoring such an important library program for the community?
Level Up is set up to meet the specific needs of each student. One-on-one tutoring such as this allows students to catch up or move forward at their own pace.
What are some student success stories you’ve seen through Level Up?
Small daily successes add up! Here are some successes I’ve had:
- A Greeneview second grader got an A on a spelling test after practicing his toughest words at Level Up.
- A Xenia freshman made up several missed assignments in one session, with the goal of getting a passing grade in English.
- A private school 2nd grade student is learning Spanish vocabulary.
- A Greeneview 3rd grader practiced math facts for better speed in solving problems.
- I am learning American Sign Language with a Xenia area private school student. We work together each week to learn new signs.
- Several Xenia students of all grades complete homework assignments every week, mostly on their own, getting tips and encouragement from the level up tutoring team.
If you have a student who needs academic help, come out to the Xenia or Jamestown community libraries and work with Cindy, or any of our other amazing tutors!
When it comes to academic success, your library is here to help you LEVEL UP! Find tutoring times at your community library at https://greenelibrary.info/levelup/. This program is supported by the State Library of Ohio with funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.