About Us

Library History

  • 1881: John Turnbull, a physician and surgeon living in Bellbrook, starts a public library in his home.
  • 1906: Jonathan Harshman Winters sells the building that now houses the library to the Sugarcreek Township Trustees for $1. Terms of the sale stipulate that the building will only be used as a library. The Winters family also donates at least 70 books for the collection.
  • 1965: An addition to the west side of the building triples its size. The library also installs a picture window to the front.
  • 1970: A longtime patron gives Grace the Fern to the library. Grace was at least 65 years old at the time and lives in the front window of the library to this day.
  • 1980: The library is expanded again.
  • 1992: Comedian Jonathan Winters, great-grandson of Jonathan Harshman Winters, makes a surprise visit to the library and autographs a copy of his book, Winters' Tales.

Photo Tour